- Posted by: infodesk
- Categories: Crime, Security, Terrorism
International Security Agency advise against all travel to:
- Palestinian refugee camps
- within 5km of the Syrian Border
- the Hermel Area, including Arsal, Baalbek
- the Bekaa Valley east of the Baalbek El Hermel High Way to the Syrian border and down to En Nabi Chit
- Akkar district
- areas of Liban-Nord district north of the southern city limits of Tripoli and east into the Bekaa Valley
- southern suburbs of Beirut east of the airport road, defined as: south of the sports stadium to the airport, to east of the main airport highway including the neighbourhoods of Ghobeiry, Chuya, Haret, Hraik, Burj Al Brajne, Mraije, Er Rouais and Laylake
- southern suburbs of Beirut west of the airport road, defined as: west of the airport highway to the coast, south from Adnan El Hakim Road to Abbas El Mousawi Road.
- Bekaa Valley west of the Baalbek El Hermel High Way
- south of the Litani River
There are ongoing clashes between Lebanese security forces and militants in Tripoli and in areas north of Tripoli, including in Minyeh and Banine. Reports of civilians, soldiers and militants killed and injured.
The security situation in parts of Lebanon can deteriorate quickly. There is potential for further violence, which could restrict departure options. The ability to provide assistance with departures may be limited. Keep up to date with developments, be vigilant, follow local advice and avoid any protests or demonstrations. Roads can become blocked due to protests.
There is a high threat from terrorism. There is a high risk of attacks by Islamist extremist groups, which could be indiscriminate and affect Lebanese security authorities, checkpoints and places visited by foreigners like hotels, restaurants, tourist sites western-style shopping centres and supermarket chains.
Security authorities are at a high state of alert and conducting security operations across Lebanon. Suspects have detonated explosions to avoid arrest and attacks could take place in areas not previously targeted. If you notice that a security operation is underway you should immediately leave the area.
You should exercise extra vigilance. Bystanders have been killed in a number of terrorist attacks in recent years. Attacks have involved car explosions and grenades. Further attacks are highly likely.